A number of years ago I served in the armed forces, the Royal Navy to be exact and a friend of mines lost a tremendous amount of weight in a short period of time. Everybody was asking him how he did it and it turns out that a PTI (physical training instructor) had given him a special two week diet. I tried it but didn’t complete it but my mother did it and lost over a stone on it (in fact, it was almost a stone and a half). Anyway its turns out now, according to my research, that they have refined the diet so that you are guaranteed to lose a stone in a week. Having said all that I am not keen on losing a stone and definitely do not want to lose any strength or muscle so I have been bulking recently as my aim is to maintain my gains (strength and muscle and shred body fat). So here’s the diet or cutting phase that I will begin tomorrow:
|1||1 dry toast with grilled tomatoes||fresh fruit||2 boiled eggs with salad and grapefruit|
|2||grapefruit and 1 boiled egg||grilled chicken with tomatoes with 1 dry toast||steak and salad|
|3||grapefruit and 1 boiled egg||fresh fruit||2 lamb chops with salad and grapefruit|
|4||1 dry toast||fresh fruit||2 boiled eggs with salad and grapefruit|
|5||1 dry toast||fresh fruit||fresh fish with salad|
|6||1 glass of grapefruit juice||fresh fruit||grilled chicken with carrots and grapefruit|
|7||scrambled eggs with grilled tomatoes||2 poached eggs and spinach||steak and salad|
1. Bread should be brown.
2. All meat must be lean; cut off the fat and grill.
3. The scrambled eggs on day 7 should contain ONLY eggs and should be beaten and cooked in the microwave.
4. It is a chemical diet (no supplements or shakes) so the food must be eaten in the order and the amounts given, if there is no amount then this is an unlimited portion (though this isn’t an eating competition so no 3 man’s rations).
5. No snacks in-between and no condiments except a small amount of lemon juice.
6. No drinks except black tea/coffee and water.
7. The food must be eaten as 3 meals – there is no snacking between meals or having half now and half later.
8. Look for a grapefruit juice without added sugar on day 6 or go for freshly squeezed.
9. After doing this diet I would not repeat the process for at least 4 weeks.
Because you are guaranteed to lose a stone without training (apparently) and I will be training here is some of my tips to maintain muscle through this.
1. Where it says chicken I would go for chicken breast as it as a higher protein content.
2. I would cut down on the cardio, unless you have loads of weight to lose, and keep lifting or start (or your body will shed muscle and you will become saggy and the weight loss will be hard to maintain). You may not be able to lift as heavy on the last couple of days and might want a rest day or two (I’m going to keep training). If you really don’t like weight lifting then weights machines or bodyweight exercises should seriously be considered.
3. I would increase my sleep to aid muscle repair (7 hours plus).
4. After it is finished I would immediately get the protein levels back up. The body will be at it’s most absorbent so do not binge out when you finish.
5. Keep the food varied. So in the salad include peppers, avocado, radishes, celery, fresh coriander etc and in the fruit include mango, pineapple, kiwi, guava, papaya, raspberries, coconut (is a coconut a fruit or nut…oh well I had it anyway) etc.
6. It is likely that this diet will slow down your metabolic rate and therefore it is important that you consume metabolism boosting fruit and veg AND that once the diet is finished you eat healthily and get loads of green tea or oolong…if not you may lose your gains because your metabolic rate would have slowed down. [point 5 & 6 were written after the diet]
7. If you do this make sure you tell me how you get on. I am going to be using myself as a guinea pig and will record my weight and body fat % before and after. If it is muscle weight and water I lose I will be hacked off but the protein in the diet looks ok and. worse-case-scenario, I could always bulk when its done. [my results are now below]
TODAY’S FOOD LOG (BULKING PHASE)
Pre-Workout: bowl of muesli
Post-workout: all-in-one shake
Breakfast: almond and honey porridge with a banana
Snack 1: a tablespoon of peanut butter
Snack 2: 2 tangerines
Lunch: steak, rice and chorizo ham with salad
Mid-Day Shake: whey
Snack 1: plum
Snack 2: steak and salad sandwich
Snack 3: a tablespoon of peanut butter
Dinner: pork casserole and rice
Snack: homemade bread and honey
Evening shake: whey
PS I only lasted 5.5 days and lost about 5 or 6 lbs but lost a lot of body fat (which was my aim anyway). RESULTS LINK